<< < Roll 2 of 2 > >>
Print Share the Website with some friends Site Map
Identification Number: 50-C41-1988-656
Theme(s): Tourism, Portage, Maliseets and Other Peoples, Construction and Architecture
Folder Title: Grand Falls Gorge: Aerials
Date: October 21, 1988

Description: Aerial view of the falls and gorges of Grand Falls. The small river is at the bottom of the photo. To the left, is the Burgess Mill which was in production from 1889 to 1929. Then, the starch plant was built at the same location by Mr. Léon B. Rideout in 1951, under the name of Valley Co-Operative Limited. Mr. Rideout was the manager for 23 years. He closed the plant in 1974, due to new Ministry of the Environment legislation. Today, the building houses a museum, community cultural centre, farmers market and economic, tourism and cultural development offices. Mr. Rideout was MPP from 1956 to 1960 and from 1963 to 1970. He was recognized as an excellent organizer by his friends.

Subjects: New Brunswick, Gorges, Rivers, Saint John River, Waterfalls, Hydraulic structures, Dams, Hydroelectric power plants, Historic sites, Malabeam Centre, Indians, Folklore, Madawaska (County), Grand Falls
Creator: Studio Laporte
Collaborator(s): Canada’s Historic Places; Official web site for Grand Falls
Source: Cdem Studio Laporte Funds
Université de Moncton campus d'Edmundston Société Historique du Madawaska Ville d'Edmundston Patrimoine Canadien